Wednesday, August 22, 2012

#GW2iscoming!

I just wanted to make a quick pre-launch post about my hopes for Guild Wars 2.  Since I am not currently playing another MMO -- okay, so I dabble in Rift and a couple of others -- I really have a lot of emotional investment in ArenaNet not failing me.  After being burned so hard by Turbine (I still miss you, LoTRO!) the last couple of years, and feeling like SWTOR didn't live up to my expectations, I am kinda game-shy right now.  I'm trying not to let the past taint my hopes for the future, though, and here are the things I am most excited and hopeful for in my GW2 future:

1) Gorgeous, customizable character creation.
2) Multiple ways to level.
3) No loot/mob/XP/resource ninjas!
4) Fast, dynamic combat.
5) Figuring out how the PvP/WvWvW works.
6) Meeting new game peeps and finding a guild.
7) All the little things, like collecting dyes, and getting screenshots from puzzle vistas like this....

I am also hoping for some (eventual) amazing end-game content with epic PvE raids and boss fights.

Along with all of my hopes, I also have a few worries:

1) Only being able to have one server as a home server.  This is scary to me.
2) There is a STORE and while ArenaNet has promised they will never be "pay to win" or sell advantages that you can't get yourself by playing the game, I have heard that all before from another *cough-Turbine-cough* company who didn't keep their promises.
3) See number 6 above.
4) That ArenaNet will vote NO on implementing DX11... which I think would greatly enhance the graphic quality of the game.  That they already are not current on something this important makes feel all o.O inside.
5) That there won't be enough PvE end-game (there are some rumours flying!) when we're ready for it... or that it won't be amazing and epic.

I have no reason to think that the things I am worried about in my above list will actually happen or affect me negatively... these are just the nagging thoughts that go through my head at night when I dream my little gamer dreams.

All in all, I am WAY more excited for this game than I am nervous... and it's all happening soon.  I am (mostly!) ready!  My PC is optimized, I have cleared my weekend, I am stocked up on Twizzlers, and I know what class I am rolling first.

All that is really left for pre-launch prep is to make the terrifying decision of server selection. (AHH!)






2 comments:

  1. I can definitely see where some of the worries are coming from, and I agree with them.

    The home server thing is a big choice, but then we've been playing on individual servers mostly all our gaming time, so we should be use to this. Plus, in the beginning you can switch as often as you want. Its locked after the population "stabilizes".

    I'm hoping the Store in Guild Wars 2 will be a lot like Guild Wars 1. Essentially, bank storage panes, expansions, cosmetic items, and skill sets. However, the temptation to add a whole bunch more will be there... but we'll see.

    For end-game PvE... I think this is the biggest worry. The leveling will be very quick, and I expect we'll see a massive amount of people in the highest levels very quickly (I give it a week or two). Also similar to how GW1 ran. The game is more about completion than end-game content, as essentially... Everything is potentially end-game. But that extra stuff that makes people feel extra powerful? If it's not already there now, we might be kept waiting for a bit.

    Also, where is the RSS feed? :) I would love to subscribe, but I use only Google Reader.

    - Ocho

    ReplyDelete
  2. RSS feed added! Apologies for any other lameness (I don't even have my blog roll up yet, either) I kinda put this thing up in a hurry. I'm hoping to make get my own site up... soonish. :-)

    ReplyDelete